2. W.D. Beher, G.C. Baker and D.G. Penney (1963) Effects of hypophysectomy on steroid-C14 metabolism in the rat. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 114: 195-198.
3. W.D. Beher, G.C. Baker and D.G. Penney (1963) Time course of fecal steroid-C14 excretion in various rodents. Am. J. Physiol. 205: 1159-1162.
4. W.D. Beher, G.C. Baker, W.L. Anthony and D.G. Penney (1964) Effect of hyocholic acid on cholesterol and bile acid metabolism in the mouse. Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 116: 442-445.
5. F. Engelmann and D.G. Penney (1966) Studies on the endocrine control of metabolism in Leucophaea maderae (Blattaria) I. The hemolymph proteins during egg maturation. Gen. & Comp. Endocrinology 7: 314-325.
6. D.G. Penney and J. Cascarano (1970) Anaerobic rat heart: effects of glucose and tricarboxylic acid-cycle metabolites on metabolism and physiological performance. Biochem. J. 118: 221-227.
7. D.G. Penney and W. Shemerdiak (1973) Behavior of phosphofructokinase during the aerobic-anaerobic transition period in the isolated perfused turtle (Pseudemys scripta elegans) heart. Comp. Biochem. & Physiol. 44B: 117-187.
8. D.G. Penney and E. Kornecki (1973) Activities, intracellular localization and kinetic properties of phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase, pyruvate kinase and malate dehydrogenase in turtle (Pseudemys scripta elegans) liver, heart and skeletal muscle. Comp. Biochem. & Physiol. 46B: 405-415.
9. J. Christiansen and D.G. Penney (1973) Anaerobic glycolysis and lactic acid accumulation in cold submerged Rana pipiens. J. Comp. Physiol. 87: 237-245.
10. D.G. Penney, L. Bugaisky and J. Mieszala (1974) Lactate dehydrogenase and pyruvate kinase in rat heart during sideropenic anemia. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 334: 24-30.
11. D.G. Penney (1974) Effects of prolonged diving anoxia on the turtle Pseudemys scripta elegans. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 47A: 933-941.
12. R. Lobes and D.G. Penney (1974) Kinetic properties of turtle heart phosphofructokinase. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 49B: 431-443.
13. D.G. Penney, E. Dunham and M. Benjamin (1974) Chronic carbon monoxide exposure. Time-course of hemoglobin, heart weight and lactate dehydrogenase isozyme changes. Toxicol. & Appl. Pharm. 28: 493-497.
14. E. Kornecki-Gerrity and D.G. Penney (1974) Kinetic properties of pyruvate kinases from turtle liver and heart. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 49B: 15-24.
15. E. Kornecki-Gerrity and D.G. Penney (1974) The effect of phosphoenolpyruvate, fructose-1,6-diphosphate, alanine, and valine on pyruvate kinase from turtle liver and heart. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 48B: 507-512.
16. D.G. Penney, M. Benjamin and E. Dunham (1974) Effect of carbon monoxide on cardiac weight as compared with altitude effects. J. Appl. Physiol. 37: 80-84.
17. K. Papademas and D.G. Penney (1974) Kinetic properties of turtle liver and kidney fructose diphosphatase. Internatl. J. Biochem. 5: 707-713.
18. D.G. Penney, K. Cook and J. Sakai (1974) Heart growth: interacting effects of carbon monoxide and age. Growth 38: 321-328.
19. D.G. Penney (1974) Lactate dehydrogenase subunit and activity changes in hypertrophied heart of the hypoxically-exposed rat. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 358: 21-24.
20. J.W. York, L.B. Oscai and D.G. Penney (1974) Alterations in skeletal muscle lactate dehydrogenase isozymes following exercise training. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 61: 1387-1393.
21. K. Papademas and D.G. Penney (1975) Effect of starvation on fructose diphosphatase, glucose-6-phosphatase and phosphoglucomutase activities in organs of Pseudemys (Chrysemys) scripta elegans. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 50B: 137-143.
22. J. York, D.G. Penney and L.B. Oscai (1975) Effects of physical training on several glycolytic enzymes in rat heart. Biochem. Biophys. Acta 381: 22-27.
23. D.G. Penney, M. Benjamin and L. Bugaisky (1975) Cardiac anoxia tolerance of carbon monoxide-poisoned, hypoxia-exposed and normal rats. Environ. Physiol. Biochem. 5: 127-131.
24. D.G. Penney and M. Thomas (1975) Hematological alterations and response to acute hypobaric stress. J. Appl. Physiol. 39: 1034-1037.
25. J.J. Klosak and D.G. Penney (1975) Serum and organ creatine phosphokinase alterations in exercise. Environ. Physiol. & Biochem. 5: 408-412.
26. L.B. Bugaisky and D.G. Penney (1976) Chronic carbon monoxide poisoning effects on performance of the isolated right ventricle. J. Appl. Physiol. 40: 324-328.
27. J.W. York, D.G. Penney, T.A. Weeks and P.A. Stagno (1976) Lactate dehydrogenase changes following several cardiac hypertrophic stresses. J. Appl. Physiol. 40: 923-926.
28. D.G. Penney and J. Kavanaugh (1976) Thyroxine and oxygen consumption in Pseudemys scripta elegans. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 54A: 443-445.
29. D.G. Penney and T. Maziarka (1976) Effect of acute carbon monoxide poisoning on serum lactate dehydrogenase and creatine phosphokinase. J. Toxicol. & Environ. Health 1: 1017-1021.
30. D.G. Penney, D. Anderson and J. Dongas (1976) Effects of early severe malnutrition on heart and skeletal muscle lactate dehydrogenase. J. Nutrition 106: 1235-1240.
31. M.F. Thomas and D.G. Penney (1977) Hematologic responses to carbon monoxide and altitude: a comparative study. J. Appl. Physiol. 43: 365-369.
32. P.E. Styka and D.G. Penney (1977) The perinatal rat: Body weight, hematocrit and regional changes in heart weight and lactate dehydrogenase isozyme composition and activity. Growth 41: 325-336.
33. D.G. Penney and P.A. Bishop (1978) Hematologic changes in the rat during and after exposure to carbon monoxide. J. Environ. Pathol. & Toxicol. 2: 407-415.
34. P.E. Styka and D.G. Penney (1978) Regression of carbon monoxide-induced cardiomegaly. Am. J. Physiol. 235: H516-H522.
35. D.G. Penney and T.A. Weeks (1979) Age dependence of cardiac growth in the normal and carbon monoxide exposed rat. Develop. Biol. 71: 153-162.
36. D.G. Penney, A. Cutilletta and P.C. Sodt (1979) Cardiodynamic changes during prolonged carbon monoxide exposure in the rat. Toxicol. Appl. Pharm. 50: 215-220.
37. D.G. Penney, M.S. Baylerian and K.E. Fanning (1980) Temporary and lasting cardiac effects of pre- and postnatal exposure to carbon monoxide. Toxicol. & Appl. Pharm. 53: 271-278.
38. D.G. Penney, M.S. Baylerian, K.E. Fanning, J.E. Thill, S. Yedavally and C.M. Fanning (1981) A study of heart and blood of rodents inhaling diesel exhaust particulates. Environ. Res. 26: 453-462.
39. D.G. Penney, M.S. Baylerian, J.E. Thill, C.M. Fanning and S. Yedavally (1982) Postnatal carbon monoxide exposure: Immediate and lasting effects in the rat. Am. J. Physiol. 243: H328-H339.
40. S. Chen, M.A. Weller and D.G. Penney (1982) A study of free lung cells from young rats chronically exposed to carbon monoxide from birth. Scanning Electron Microscopy II: 859-867.
41. D.G. Penney, M.S. Baylerian, J.E. Thill, S. Yedavally and C.M. Fanning (1983) The cardiac response of the fetal rat to carbon monoxide exposure. Am. J. Physiol. 244: H289-H297.
42. W.E. Kanten, D.G. Penney, K. Francisco and J.E. Thill (1983) Hemodynamic responses to acute carboxyhemoglobnemia in the rat. Am. J. Physiol. 244: H320-H327.
43. D.G. Penney, R. Zak and V. Aschenbrenner (1983) Carbon monoxide inhalation: Effect on heart cytochrome C in the neonatal and adult rat. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 12: 395-406.
44. D.G. Penney, A. Stryker and M.S. Baylerian (1984) Persistent cardiomegaly induced by carbon monoxide and associated tachycardia. Am. J. Physiol. 56: 1045-1052.
45. D.G. Penney, B.G. Barthel and J.A. Skoney (1984) Cardiac compliance and dimensions in carbon monoxide-induced cardiomegaly. Cardiovasc. Res. 18: 270-276.
46. D.G. Penney and T.M. Caldwell (1984) Growth of the young heart: influence of nutrition and stress. Growth 48: 483-498.
47. D.G. Penney, J.C. Dunbar, Jr. and M.S. Baylerian (1985) Cardiomegaly and haemodynamics in rats with a transplantable growth hormone-secreting tumour. Cardiovasc. Res. 19: 270-277.
48. S.K. Banerjee, D.G. Penney and C.J. Parker, Jr. (1985) Cardiac myosin isoenzymes, ATPase and taurine in carbon monoxide-induced cardiomegaly. Molec. Physiol. 7: 311-322.
49. D.G. Penney and B.G. Barthel (1985) Effects of thyroid and growth hormone deficiency, and food restriction on heart mass, with and without added stress (carboxyhemoglobinemia). Can. J. Physiol. & Pharmacol. 63: 1-15.
50. F.J. Clubb, Jr., D.G. Penney, M.S. Baylerian and S.P. Bishop (1986) Cardiomegaly due to myocyte hyperplasia in perinatal rats exposed to 200 ppm carbon monoxide. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 18: 477-486.
51. D.G. Penney, T.M. Caldwell-Ayre, R.B. Gargulinski and B.J. Hawkins. (1987) Effect of litter size (i.e., nutrition) on carbon monoxide-induced persistent heart changes. Growth 51, 321-333.
52. D.G. Penney and M.S. Baylerian. (1987) Carboxyhemoglobinemia, polycythemia, cardiomegaly and cardiovascular function. Can. J. Physiol & Pharmacol. 65, 2205-2211.
53. S.B. Davidson and D.G. Penney. (1988) Time course of blood volume change with carbon monoxide inhalation and its contribution to the overall cardiovascular response. Arch. Toxicol. 61, 306-311.
54. D.G. Penney, S.B. Davidson, R. Gargulinski and T.M. Caldwell-Ayre. (1988) Heart and lung hypertrophy, changes in blood volume, hematocrit and plasma renin activity in rats chronically exposed to increasing carbon monoxide concentrations. J. Appl. Toxicol. 8, 171-178.
55. D.G. Penney, R.B. Gargulinski, B.J. Hawkins, R. Santini, T.M. Caldwell-Ayre and S.B. Davidson. (1988) The effect of carbon monoxide on persistent changes in young rat heart: Cardiomegaly, tachycardia and altered DNA content. J. Appl. Toxicol. 8, 275-283.
56. D.G. Penney. (1988) Hyperglycemia exacerbates brain damage in acute severe carbon monoxide poisoning. Medical Hypotheses 27, 241-244.
57. Penney, D.G., K. Verma and J.A. Hull. (1989) Cardiovascular, metabolic and neurologic effects of acute carbon monoxide poisoning in the rat. Toxicol. Lets. 45, 207-213.
58. Penney, D.G., F.J. Clubb, Jr., R.C. Allen, C. Jen, S. Banerjee and J.A. Hull. (1989) Persistent early heart changes do alter the cardiac response to exercise training in adulthood. J. Appl. Cardiol. 4, 223-237.
59. Dubeck, J.K., D.G. Penney, T.R. Brown and P. Sharma. (1989) Thyroxine treatment of neonatal rats suppresses normal and stress-stimulated heart cell hyperplasia and abolishes persistent cardiomegaly. J. Appl. Cardiol. 4, 195-205.
60. Lahiri, S., D.G. Penney, A. Mokashi, and K.H. Albertine. (1989) Chronic CO inhalation and carotid body catecholamines - testing of hypotheses. J. Appl. Physiol. 67, 239-242.
61. Sutariya, B., D.G. Penney, J. Barnes and C.C. Helfman. (1989) Hypothermia protects brain function in acute carbon monoxide poisoning. Vet. Human Toxicol. 31, 436-441.
62. Clubb, F.J., Jr., D.G. Penney and S.P. Bishop. (1989) Cardiomegaly in neonatal rats exposed to 500 ppm carbon monoxide. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 21, 945-955.
63. Verma, K., D.G. Penney, C.C. Helfman and B.B. Sutariya. (1989) Carboxyhemoglobin in the rat: Improvements in the spectrophotometric measurement and comparison to other studies. J. Appl. Toxicol. 9, 323-330.
64. Sherpa, A.K., K.H. Albertine, D.G. Penney, B. Thompkins and S. Lahiri. (1989) Chronic CO exposure stimulates erythropoiesis but not glomus cell growth. J. Appl. Physiol., 67, 1383-1387.
65. France, R.J., J.M. Formolo, and D.G. Penney. (1990) Value of QRS complex notching and slurring in detecting ischemic heart disease. Clin. Cardiol. 13, 190-196.
66. Sharma, P. and D.G. Penney. (1990) Effects of ethanol in acute carbon monoxide poisoning. Toxicology 62, 213-226.
67. Penney, D.G. and M.C. Robinson. (1990) Effects of verapamil and carbon monoxide on blood pressure and heart mass in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Europ. J. Pharmacol. 182, 29-36.
68. Penney, D.G., P. Sharma, B.B. Sutariya and B.G. Nallamothu. (1990) Development of hypoglycemia is associated with death during carbon monoxide poisoning. J. Crit. Care 5, 169-179.
69. Sutariya, B., D.G. Penney and B. Nallamothu. (1990) Hypothermia following acute carbon monoxide poisoning increases mortality. Toxicol. Letts. 52, 201-208.
70. Penney, D.G. (1990) A critical early postnatal period for stress-induced alteration of heart development: Persistent cardiomegaly and altered DNA content. J. Appl. Cardiol., 5, 443-453.
71. Penney, D.G., C.C. Helfman, J.A. Hull, J.C. Dunbar and K. Verma. (1990) Elevated blood glucose is associated with poor outcome in the carbon monoxide-poisoned rat. Toxicol. Letts. 54, 287-298.
72. Bambach, G.A., D.G. Penney and N.G. Negendank. (1991) In situ assessment of the rat heart during carbon monoxide exposure using nuclear magnetic resonance imaging. J. Appl. Toxicol., 11, 43-49.
73. Boluyt, M., D.G. Penney, F.J. Clubb, Jr. and T. White. (1991) Exposure of neonatal rats to carbon monoxide alters cardiac adaptation to aortic constriction in adulthood. J. Appl. Physiol., 70, 2697-2702.
74. Penney, D.G., C.C. Helfman, J.C. Dunbar and L.E. McCoy. (1991) Acute severe carbon monoxide poisoning: Effects of normo-, hyper- and hypoglycemia on mortality, recovery and neurologic deficit. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol., 69, 1168-1177.
75. Baciewicz, Jr., F.A., D.G. Penney, W.A. Marinelli and R. Marinelli. (1991) Torsional ventricular motion and rotary blood flow: What is the clinical significance? Cardiac Chronicle, 5, No. 8, 1-6.
76. Penney, D.G. and R.M. Skikun. (1991) Hypertension is not exacerbated by chronic carbon monoxide exposure, with or without added salt, in the borderline hypertensive rat (BHR). Arch. Toxicol. (symposium talk at EUROTOX, Leipzig, DDR, Sept., 1990), (Recent Developments in Toxicology: Trends, Methods and Problems), Suppl. 14, 118-124.
77. Penney, D.G. (1991) Modifying role of plasma glucose in acute carbon monoxide poisoning. Arch. Toxicol. (symposium talk at EUROTOX, Leipzig, DDR, Sept., 1990), (Recent Developments in Toxicology: Trends, Methods and Problems), Suppl. 14, 239-244.
78. Marinelli, R.A., D.G. Penney, W.A. Marinelli and F.A. Baciewicz, Jr. (1991) Rotary motion in the heart and blood vessels: A Review. J. Appl. Cardiol., 6, 421-431.
79. Abella, M., J. Formolo and D.G. Penney. (1992) Comparison of the acoustic properties of six popular stethoscopes. J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 91, 2224-2228.
80. Formolo, J.M., D.G. Penney, H. Lesmes and A.M. Kisly. (1992) Non-invasive therapies for unstable myocardial ischemia in the CCU. Primary Cardiol., 18, 54-64.
81. Penney, D.G. and L.B. Bugaisky. (1992) Non-coordinate expression of collagen mRNAs during volume overload-induced cardiac hypertrophy. Mole. Cell. Biochem., 109, 37-41.
82. Sutariya, B., D.G. Penney and J. Dunbar. (1992) Blood lactate and catecholamine levels in the carbon monoxide-exposed rat: The response to elevated glucose. Toxicol., 73, 169-178.
83. Dodds, R.G., D.G. Penney and B.B. Sutariya. (1992) Cardiovascular, metabolic, and neurologic effects of carbon monoxide and cyanide in the rat. Toxicol. Letts, 61, 243-254.
84. Penney, D.G., A. Tucker and G.A. Bambach. (1992) Heart and lung alterations in neonatal rats exposed to CO or high altitude. J. Appl. Physiol., 73, 1713-1719.
85. Jalukar, V., D.G. Penney, M. Crowley and N. Simpson. (1992) Magnetic resonance imaging of the rat brain following acute carbon monoxide poisoning. J. Appl. Toxicol., 12, 407-414.
86. Formolo, J.M., J.K. Appleyard, R.A. Chang, A.M. Staricco, and D.G. Penney. (1992) Indications and impact of transesophageal echocardiography. Card. Chronicle, 6, 1-9.
87. Fozo, M.S. and D.G. Penney. (1993) Dibromomethane and carbon monoxide in the rat: Comparison of the cardiovascular and metabolic effects. J. Appl. Toxicol., 13, 147-151.
88. Howley, J., Formolo, J. and Penney, D.G. (1993) Structural and functional myocardial responses to chronic treatment with the Ca++ blocker verapamil (Calan-SR) in the hypertensive patient, J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 22: 637-643.
89. Katzman, G.M. and Penney, D.G. (1993) Electrocardiographic responses to carbon monoxide and cyanide in the conscious rat, Toxicol. Letts. 69: 139-153.
90. Penney, D.G. and Formolo, J. (1993) Carbon monoxide-induced cardiac hypertrophy is not reduced by alpha or beta-blockade in the rat, Toxicology 80: 173-187.
91. Penney, D.G., Giraldo, A. and VanEgmond, E.M. (1993) Chronic carbon monoxide exposure in young rats alter coronary vessel growth, J. Toxicol. & Environ. Health 39: 207-222.
92. Tucker, A. and Penney, D.G. (1993) Pulmonary vascular responsiveness in rats following neonatal exposure to high altitude or carbon monoxide, Exper. Lung Res. 19: 699-713.
93. Hamlet, S., D.G. Penney, J.M. Formolo. (1994) Stethoscope acoustics and cervical auscultation of swallowing. Dysphagia, 9: 63-68.
94. Penney, D.G., Giraldo, A. and VanEgmond, E.M. (1994) Coronary vessel alterations following chronic carbon monoxide exposure in the adult rat, J. Appl. Toxicol., 14, 47-54.
95. Salkowski, A.A. and Penney, D.G. (1995) Metabolic, cardiovascular, and neurologic aspects of acute cyanide poisoning in the rat, Toxicol. Letts., 75, 19-27.
96. Penney, D.G. and K. Chen. (1996) NMDA receptor-blocker ketamine protects during acute carbon monoxide poisoning, while calcium channel-blocker verapamil does not. J. Appl. Toxicol., 16, 297-304.
97. Kinkade, S., G. Porretta & D. Penney. (1996) Laparoscopic posterior truncal vagotomy and anterior seromyotomy. Providence Medical Bulletin, 9, 19-22.
98. Penney, D. & W. Porter. (1996) Nitroprusside, a cyanide-containing drug: Recognizing the dangers. Providence Medical Bulletin, 9, 23-28.
99. Lin, K., D. Penney, A. Mahmoud, W. Chae, R.B. Kolachalam & S.C. Young. (1997) The advantage of surgery and adjuvant chemotherapy in the treatment of primary gastrointestinal lymphoma. J. Surg. Oncology, 64, 237-241.
100. Mahmoud, A.M., S. Silapaswan, K. Lin & D. Penney. (1997) Vernix Caseosa: Unusual cause of post-caesarean section peritonitis. Case presentation and literature review. Am. Surgeon, 63, 382-385.
101. Mahmoud, A., D.G. Penney, C. Tran, K. Lin, & L. Dubay. (1997) Ingested foreign body: An unusual cause of delayed (chronic) appendicitis. Contemp. Surg., XX, 1-4.
102. Young, S.C., E. Colaiuta & D.G. Penney. (1998) A comparison of ambulatory surgery in a hospital-based ambulatory surgical center and a hospital-sponsored free-standing unit. Contemp. Surg., 52, 53-57.
103. Bunyaratavej, K., V. Trisal, D.G. Penney & S. Silapaswan. (1998) Gallbladder Hypokinesia: An Unusual Cause of Duodenal Obstruction. The Am. Surg., 64, 441-443.
104. Gross, W., David, W., Colaiuta, E., Gonda, R, Osher, Lanuti, S. & Penney, D. (1999) Pulmonary embolus following vena cava filter placement. The Am. Surgeon, 65 (4), 341-346.
105. Trisal, V., Penney, D.G., & Young, S.C. (2000) A neglected source of organ donors: Victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. Providence Med. Bull., 10 (1), 29-33.
Return to Index